Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Dandelion Girl

Dandelions...this "flower" is usually a bad word to most people who are trying to have a beautiful lawn. But to me, it has become one of my most favorite flowers. Shelby gets so excited when these flowers finally pop up every year and thinks they are the most beautiful flower in the world. Yes, we do live in Pinedale where these are basically the only "flower" that grows...but I think she would love them anyways.
Everyday she picks me fresh flowers for my window ledge, plus lots extra. I find these flowers in her pockets, in her drawers, in all of her purses, and if any one stops by for a visit, they are sure to go home with a dandelion bouquet.
Last Memorial day we were in Cokeville to decorate some of the graves of our family and Shelby wanted to add her own touch. She found a patch of dandelions and decided to put them on Grandpa Alleys grave. Even though Grandpa was a weed science professor and dedicated his life trying to get rid of "weeds" like these...I am sure he had a good laugh and a twinkle in his eye.
The other day I was at the store and was about to pick up some weed killer and decided to put it back for now. There will be a time when I will have a beautiful lawn someday...but now I have a sweet little girl bringing me flowers everyday, and I know that this special time won't last forever.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

what a cutie! love that little shelby!

Jeanne Alley said...

So reminds me of your mother, my Lynette at that age. She brought me many dandelion arrangements when we lived in the little town of LaGrange in Wyoming and I always thanked and praised her over and over. Upon moving to the "city" of Laramie to my dismay I was rewarded with beautiful tulips luckily from a very understanding and forgiving neighbor.

Larlee Jensen said...

Jami you are such a great momma! i love you and your precious little girls!