Sunday, January 1, 2012

I'm still short!

Shelby likes to be like her big sister and we started a few years ago with waking the birthday girl up by singing Happy Birthday and bringing breakfast in bed. The night before, Shelby kept reminding me that we did that for Karlee on her birthday and not to forget to do this for her. When I kissed her good night, she whispered, "You can bring me cereal, the marshmallow kind, k?". So we woke her up and she was pretty thrilled. The girls don't usually last too long in bed, but really like the tradition! They also know we have presents waiting at the table...so we usually move there pretty quick. She had gotten out of bed and the first thing she did was check how tall she was...and when she found out she didn't grow, she was pretty suprised and exclaimed pretty dishearted, "I am still short!!"
Shelby opened presents from us and from Grandma and Grandpa Jensen. She has been wanting a pillow pet for ages, but I have never gotten her one, so she was pretty excited and thrilled to open that present...Karlee was almost as excited as she was!
Later that night, we had a family birthday party and Grandma, Da, Ethan, Bry and the Butners came over. Shelby wanted French Toast for dinner...so that was pretty easy for me, except I did almost smoke everyone out when I cooked the bacon.
She wanted a Tangled Birthday cake...but I revised it a bit and made a cupcake cake. Shelby was pretty excited to see it...but later that night she asked me if I was going to make her "real" cake the next day, "Because, Mom, those were only cupcakes".
 When I put them to bed, I told about the story of her birth and the events of that night. I think that is my favorite tradition we do on the girls' birthdays. Nicole is always on my mind, especially on their birthdays...I am so grateful to her and because of her, I had a little girl turn 6! It is amazing how time flies, it does seem like just yesterday I heard her first cries and held my little Shelby for the first time.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Love that Shelby! I enjoyed the posts & we were all looking at them together the other day (Larlee, your mom & I). Your girls are sure looking so grown up!

Kariesa said...

jami, you are such an amazing mom! Your girls are so blessed to have you:)